Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Granville Island--Five Senses Rejuvenated--Part I

Today, I went to Granville Island.  Feeling slightly discouraged from job hunting, I felt I needed to go somewhere that was ALIVE with energy and stimulation. 

Granville Island is synonymous with energy and stimulation of all five senses.  Though I had a difficult moment where I saw what I thought was a look-a-like of Jason, it didn't take long to wipe the tears and take a breath. While I took that breath, I was amazed I wasn't overtaken by the variety of smells that hit me when I went into the market to find something for lunch.  The minute I went in, I smelled fish.  No kidding, really?  Fish in Vancouver?  It wasn't unpleasant in any way, although I don't know that I'd bottle it up any day soon for perfume (eau de crab?).  As I walked down the aisles of Granville Island Market, the smell of coffee was also strong.  Now that was a wonderful smell!  If I didn't already have my daily coffee ration of a grande cinnamon dolce latte, I'm sure I could've have floated very happily to any of the vendors that were selling it.  If you're not sure what you want, the market can be confusing with so many delicious choices (eg. Indian, Vietnamese, Italian, Thai, etc.). Curry was a strong draw for me, it's earthy scent almost making me immobile with indecision. There's a brewery in another building, but I haven't yet experienced it.  The smell of baked goods and candy would've attracted Hansel and Gretel.  Fudge is actually made right there and you can see them do it.  The sweet smell will remind you of how you need to jog the next day (well, I do).  There are so many things to smell that I can't list them all.  With my veggie burger and caesar salad in my hands, I go out onto the large walkway and eating area.  I perch on a somewhat damp seat and proceed to eat, inhaling the gentle sea air.

I leave it at that for now as I'm getting hungry again just remembering it.  Too late for coffee...hmm.  Dream of fudge...hmmm...dream of going to the gym...but what a life!

No comments:

Post a Comment